Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rock Climbing


“We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” 2 Corinthians 4:8-9

Rock climbing... you know all the funky shapes and grooves you have to meticulously choose from? No pressure but, if you do not get a good enough grip, your a goner!!! I may not know all the fancy words for all of the rock climbing terms, but I do know that thank goodness when you can't go any further or you slip up there is always a spotter. I must be a weakling because whenever I “rock climb” I make it up about 5 feet from the ground before I have to get down. It's not a height sadly, it's my arm strength! Haha. I enjoy watching people climb all the way to the top... it takes a ton of determination and strength to do it. I suppose I could live my life without climbing up that rock... I'm not being chased by cheetahs or wild turkeys. It would be a pretty amazing accomplishment to make it to the top though. So, you're probably wondering what the silly analogy has to do with my life?
It's funny how sometimes we learn something, move on and then have to RE-learn it all over again! I blogged not long ago about the choice we have to be happy or be crappy(haha I like it.).. We do have a choice. You know sometimes I start to wonder if my vulnerability to anxiety and depression will ever change... Sometimes I get so tired of fighting and fighting to keep myself sane. It doesn't take long for me to come up with at least 50 things that I hate about it....
I think about that rock wall.... I have the choice to climb, (experience joy) and I have the choice to stay on the ground... climbing that wall is most definitely NOT easy as pie. It not only takes wisdom to know which place to step but also take a huge amount of strength to pull yourself up that wall. So, as 2009 begins I have been thinking: Why not take the climb, keep my head up, and aim for experiencing joy, love, peace, and contentment. God is totally the spotter, and when we are weak He is there to give us that extra tug. :O) So, to be happy or to be crappy?... that is the question! Hopefully that made an ounce of sense! :O)

No comments: