Monday, October 15, 2007

In the Attic...


"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2



In 10 days, I will be 22 years old. My attic is filled with things from over the years. A ferbie, american girl dolls, lava lamps, books, clothes, jewelry... and I am sure that in 20 years, the cool thing to have now will be added to that pile of what I now call junk!

I wont lie, I am way low on the money thing. I have to admit I have been very generous to Target, Ebay, and the local restraunts within the past month. I had a bonus from babysitting and instead of putting it towards my car payment, I went crazy with buying other things I didn't nessesarily need. I was taken over by the passion to have more and more, and suddenly I spent 80 dollars here, 90 here, 50 here... before I knew it I was down to an account balance of $2.00.

I had the additude that I needed to have this, I needed to have that. Until I was spending some quiet time alone in my car and the thought came to me, am I content with what I've got??? This junk is going to mean nothing to me in 10 years, and I can't be burried with my junk! When I am at the feet of Jesus in Heaven, I wont be thinking about this junk!

I was talking to my uncle who lost the majority of his belongings when he moved here. His moving truck was somehow stolen and all of his possessions were sold to random people. It made me wonder, if that happened to me, would I be able to be content with what I had even then? I have become a material girl, this is a material world! I don't want this anymore. I am called to live a higher life than this, I want more than just the newest and coolest and neatest things, and besides, the coolest, greatest, neatest thing there is, is this guy who died 2000 years ago on a cross for me to be free and have a relationship with God. Geez, I already have everything I could EVER want!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

- Matthew 6:19-24

No comments: